Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Empire of the Sun.




Nothing much happening here in Soper’s Hole. I got the carburetor cleaned out OK. Works fine. I’ve been reading ‘Empire of the Sun’….rereading it I should say. It’s one of my favorite books. Ballard used a pretty straightforward narrative style and of course it’s basically autobiographical unlike some of his more experimental pieces.

I’m not a big Spielberg fan to be honest but I think he did a good job on the movie.


That is a picture of the house in Shanghai where J.G.Ballard used to live and behind which young Jim found the wrecked Zero which came to symbolize his ambivalence about war.


The house is now a Chinese restaurant. And it isn't the one Spielberg used in the movie. That one is on a golf course near Shepperton studios. How come you know all this stuff Dick you may be emboldened to ask? Because I often go to Simon Sellars excellent web site that's how.

And if you want to learn more about J.G.you can't do better than read 
Ballard's 'The Kindness of Women'


No comments: