Saturday, July 01, 2017

Them heavy people.





I was born in the right place and time, London. May 1941, well before Brexit. Goering was sending bombers over every night to demoralize the population. Didn't work but he kept trying. You'd come out in the morning and half the street was gone.. I don’t think there was any doubt in my mother’s womb that Hitler would be defeated but the searchlights and the AA battery at the end of the street must have been unsettling for a young pregnant girl…or perhaps not….perhaps it was just an opportunity to flirt with the gunners on the way to the munitions factory. Anyway she had me in the middle of it all. Maybe that's what gave me a taste for philosophy.

Most people don't bother with philosophy much I've found. Not me. I enjoy a bit of metaphysical recreation. There's nothing I like more than sitting in my boat pondering the meaning of life. I've read all the top blokes from Plato to Huxley... Tommy Cooper, Steve Martin, Rick Gervais you name it.

Of course they do go on a bit and to be honest I don't think they know anything for certain. It's all theory.  Too deep for me. We're born and we die. Skepticism, rationalism, infinitism....when it gets to that point I reach for the bottle.




No comments: