Sunday, January 10, 2016

Villains


​If this was a novel or even a normal literary endeavor I would have inserted some unsavory characters by now just to keep things balanced. It's all very well me and Oscar drinking and bullshitting but there has to be some kind of action. I think I’ve mentioned Blackjack, the second-rate villain in the pirate boat that shows up now and again, and there’s something a touch sinister about young Lambert the graffiti artist who looks like Jean-Michel Basquiat.
As the day for the treasure hunt draws near the excitement builds.
“I’d watch out for that young Lambert if I was you Oscar,” I venture.
“Don’t worry Dick. I’ve got Lambert’s number,” says Oscar,” he was here once you know.”
“Really.’
“Yes he came across from Tortola with some of his Rasta chums. Wanted  to sell me some paintings.  He was asking too much or I would have bought a couple. He’s got talent but he’s derivative. And I didn’t like his attitude. He thinks he’s the Caribbean answer to Jean-Michel Basquiat.  Just another graffiti artist if you ask me. He left in a huff.”
Bad move Oscar I’m thinking.  Lambert will be very pissed off.  I know artists.  They can be touchy.
Lambert, it so happens, has been hanging around the Soper’s Hole marina selling dope and looking for loose pussy. It was inevitable that he would run into Blackjack who was resting after a profitable run from Cartagena to Pensacola, a city in West Florida with an interesting history.  It has flown the flags of five different countries since its founding by Tristan de Luna in 1559. Not that Lambert and Blackjack care much about history. Dodging the DEA is their main preoccupation.


No comments: