Sunday, May 22, 2016

On Portobello Road.





I'm staying in an Airb&b in Notting Hill. I'm done with hotels. The big places are full of Saudi princes and their retinues.

While I’m in London I decide to visit some old haunts and see what’s happened to them…Portobello market? It’s totally buggered up. I mean really. Nothing but tourists looking for bargains. And getting ripped off in the process.

The area has been tarted up but I spot a few familiar places. There’s Colville Terrace. It  reminds me of the time I was working for Rachman. I was a trainee rent collector. Westbourne Park Road where Hawkwind used to play, Powis Square where they filmed ‘Performance’, tripping with Syd Barrett in All Saints Hall. Finches. Electric Cinema. I Was Lord Kitchener's Valet. Lots of memories. 

It’s all a bit strange what times does. Makes me wonder how different things might have been if I’d taken a different tack. I’m not saying it would have been better but think of all the different lives we could have had if we’d made this choice rather than that one. I could be one of those antique dealers on Portobello Road flogging fake Chippendale to Yanks. Or perhaps I would be running a little pub somewhere waiting to get bought out by a big brewery or I could be playing hide and seek with grandchildren in an English country garden.






Not that I’m complaining. It’s been a good life and I’m not done yet. I miss Millie though. She’s been good to me.

Talking of grandchildren maybe I should look Simon up while I’m here. He must have grandchildren galore by now. Some of them could technically be mine. 

Wonder if he ever met Arthur in Bangkok?



No comments: