Sunday, February 01, 2015

Bomba's.




So after a nap and a bite to eat I leave the crew watching “Survivor” and take a taxi out to Bomba’s Shack where I find Julian waiting. Turns out he’s a rum drinker so we order up a bottle of Pusser’s Original Old Navy. Sailors in the old days used to get a pint a day of this stuff every day. Extra before battle. Even the gunners.

“That was quite a shock seeing you today like that Headley.” Says Sir. J.
“Call me Dick. Yes funny how things happen isn’t it?”


I’m guessing this is Julian’s first time in Bomba’s. It’s an odd place. Made out of driftwood and old hubcaps. There’s graffiti all over the walls and bras and panties dangling everywhere. I spot Bomba in his usual place behind the bar. He’s a big black bloke. I give him a wave but he probably doesn’t remember me. He meets a lot of people. Me and Julian talk about this and that. London in the sixties, Arsenal, boats and the sailing thereof. I notice he’s tucking into the rum so I order another bottle.
“Like the Pusser’s do you Julian?”
“Love it,” says he, “can you keep a secret Dick?”
“Course.”
“Well between you and me I have been to Bangkok. More than once.”
“Really?” I’m glad I brought the tape recorder now. This is going to cost the bugger. “On business I suppose?”
“Well yes and no. I went to a conference in Hong Kong the first time and some of the chaps wanted to look do a little side-trip if you know what I mean.”
“To Bangkok?”
“Yes. See some of these dens of iniquity one hears so much about.”
“Like Patpong and that? Get your winkle wet did you?”
“Oh indeed I did Dick. You know how it is there I see. Well of course one thing lead to another and, to be perfectly frank, I developed a bit of a taste for it.”
“It can happen Julian. Similar thing with me really…..” and so on. I let Julian do the talking. It was like he had all the stuff dammed up inside his head and I was his best mate. Somewhere along the line he mentioned my crew.
“I must say Dick those are some saucy little vixens you have on your boat. You’re a lucky fellow. I’m stuck with Ethel.”
“Yes I noticed. Tell you what Julian. I could fix you up with one of the girls if you fancy it.”
“Ha, ha. Good one Dick,” He’s well pissed by now.
“I’m serious. Have a couple if you like. They like a change. Borrow my boat. Get ‘em up the foc’sle.” Got him thinking now I have. This is the best thing to happen to him for some time. He’s half-cut but not quite all the way yet. He’s probably wondering how he can get away with it. It’s that legal mind at work.
“This is awfully decent of you Dick. Can we talk about it tomorrow?”
“No problem mate. Bring the missus if you like.” After the third bottle he was in the mood for a bit of a sing-song but I didn’t want to wake up everybody in Soper’s Hole. Got him back to the Marina OK and put him on the right boat. Hope I did anyway. Or somebody’s going to get a nasty shock in the morning.



No comments: