Friday, January 06, 2017

Bangkok. A brief accommodation guide.


                             



Ever stayed at the Atlanta? No? Neither have I. I did stick my head in once to have a look at the famous lobby but I didn't feel welcome. It might have been the girls I had with me.


When I’m in Bangkok I usually stay at the Nana Hotel. It has a homely atmosphere and it’s handy for the Nana Plaza take-outs. The beds hold three and the air-con usually works. You may find the odd condom under the bed but the complementary tube of KY Jelly in the bathroom is a nice touch. Even if it has been used. Ah to be young and virile.



Not everybody likes the Nana however....


“Hotel that makes Fawlty Towers look like the Ritz..where is the hotel inspector Thailand?”
Posted Image
Reviewed June 6, 2015
Nana Hotel what has happened, having stayed numerous times over the years but this will be the last. What was a slow gradual decline has turned into a race to the death for. Bangkok landmark hotel.
When it came to check in was met by the rudest man in Thailand, apparently I had not booked correctly having used the hotels own website, as he struggled to find my reservation. Then he complained aboutmy passport !
Finally was issued a room key and I headed up to my room, The corridor to the room smelled of cigarette smoke and I remembered that this hotel doesnt offer non smoking rooms! Now I am not a snob, and I am quite prepared to rough it in 1 star accomodation when the need arises, but the room wouldnt even qualify for 1 star in the West and indeed I have had better and cleaner facilities when staying in 300bt budget accomodation elsewhere in Thailand.
With a room on the 5th floor I thought I may get a view of Bangkok, Lets say I have a room with a view and what a view it is, On first glance it would appear a concrete wall, but closer look at the wall reveals that there is a tiled area which appears to have run off ! It actually looks like my view may be of an open air latrine!
The room is basic , a tv with around 10 channels (couldnt see any English) A bed, an ancient refridgerator which would feel at home in the 1970's. A bathroom which appears grubby and dirty with walls covered in inch square tiles again popular in the 70's. These tiles are a mucky brown colour making it look even dirtier than it is!

The Nana Hotel situated in the night life area of Bangkok, was renown for having a 24 hour coffee shop and restraunt, great for a pick me up after a night on the town. This has all gone now with notices advising of the new opening hours!

Well I doubt if things could get any worse, This hotel certainly couldn't, How can a hotel be so bad yet still stay in business is beyond me...
On a scale of 1 (worst ever) to 100 ( outstanding) this would rate a 1. I honestly dont think I have ever been treated as rudely by anyone in Thailand as I was by the reception clerk. And the accomodation is perhaps the worst that I have encountered in over 10 years of visiting Asia.
Will I return! I can honestly say that the only way I will return to this hovel is if they paid me to, and even then I dont think they could pay me enough to stay!
Over the years this hotel has been in decline, with a gradual drop in standards apparent on each visit. Well it doesnt have any more standards left to lose it has now hit rock bottom!

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs!


There are cheaper hotels in the Sukhumvit area, much cheaper, some with rooms that rent by the hour, but the BBC might find that a little too close to reality. They prefer something more salubrious so Simon and his crew are staying at the Landmark. Arthur is to meet them there.

Arthur walks through the lobby of the Landmark Hotel feeling awkward, the way he always feels in big hotels. There are the usual sprinkling of oilfield guys and ‘security contractors’. He has put on a clean shirt and trousers but he still feels shabby. It’s not the guests that bother him. It’s the staff. Receptionists, doormen, porters…they take one look and know his whole life history.

And here comes Simon looking very dapper in a tailored cotton safari suit not seen in Bangkok since the days of Flynn and Page.







No comments: