Thursday, January 05, 2017

Martinique.






Well here I am in Martinique. The McDonalds in Fort de France to be precise, enjoying un sandwich de viande bovine with some frites.

Gauguin lived here for a few months in 1887 after leaving his wife and 5 kids in France. Not in the actual fast-food restaurant obviously but further round the coast. He'd been working on the Panama Canal. This was before he went to Tahiti.

I get a good view of the harbour from the window. 'Millie', bless her heart, is tied to the jetty which means Oscar is around here somewhere. I still haven't decided what to do about him. Play it by ear I think. Bugger me here he comes now.

'There you are Dick. I've been wondering when you'd show up. Don't know how you can eat that shit.'

He starts helping himself to my frites.

'Get your own.' I say.

'Oh like that is it. Come on Dick. I'm sure you're dying to know what happened to Blackjack and his pals.'

Not really. I couldn't give a toss about Blackjack. I just want to make sure 'Millie' is OK. He gives me an update anyway of course.

Long story short Blackjack and his crew are headed south. Oscar wants me to help him find them.. We get some coffees to take away and go to have a look at 'Millie'.

She looks fine. Some of the halyards are fraying a bit and there's some varnish missing. Nothing serious. Oscar has made himself comfortable inside so it looks like I'm stuck with him for a while. He wants to leave for  St. Lucia as soon as possible. We'll be out on the ocean.....just me and him. One good kick and he's gone. Just kidding.







No comments: